Sunday, August 25, 2013

How to Read Fruit Stickers

Ok, so I'm a little bit more neurotic now that I have a little one to care for.  What goes into my body, ultimately ends up in his body (for the most part).  And when I'm no longer nursing, I'll actually be putting that same food into his little body!  It's scary out there in the food world!  People believe certain things are linked to autism, and cancer, and well obviously diabetes, but the list goes on and on and you can't help but wonder, maybe it does have something to do with what you put in your mouth.  So, I found out that if you read the sticker of your fruits and veggies, you can tell which ones are organic, which ones are grown conventionally and which ones have been genetically modified!  Yikes!  I can't help but wonder how many genetically modified fruit I've bought in the past.  Yes, I like my fruit to look pretty, but obviously that means they were probably genetically modified to appear that way to get people (like myself), to buy them.

So are you ready?

You know how there's that little, annoying sticker on the fruits and veggies?  Well, that annoying little sticker holds the number that tells it all!  If it is organic, the number will be 5 digits long and start with a 9.  Shopping at my local Stop and Shop, I found that they have little baskets that say, "organic" on them to let us know where the organic stuff is, and guess what?!  These were all 5 digits and started with a 9.  So good job Stop and Shop:) (you never know when people are lyin' to ya!!).  

Conventional, (which I GUESS is the next best thing ;)), starts with either a 3 or a 4 and is 4 digits long.  And hey, sometimes I have a recipe that calls for something which I can't find organic, so that's ok.

But STAY AWAY from anything that is 5 digits long and starts with an 8.  These are the genetically modified!  Ugh, I can't even imagine what's been put into them.

Well there's my tip for today!  Have a wonderful rest of your weekend:))

And stay healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment